Sunday 22 May 2011

Filthy Rich

Do you find yourself going along in life thinking that you are NOT one of those selfish sort? You know, the ones on the game shows that don't know when to give up and run with the money. The ones that drive their families into bankruptcy "keeping up with the Jones".

I am definitely NOT one of those!

Yet ..... I find myself buying the Tattslotto ticket and spending the money in my head before the numbers even role out.  I look at beautiful houses and think "wouldn't that be nice". I admire the fashionable women with their matching accessories, perfect manicured nails and salon treated hair. The list goes on and on.

And then it hit me...... an epiphany! (Thank you Oprah for making that a cool word)


I, in fact, have got it all.

When I look around me, in comparison to MANY other people in the community and around the world, I have it all.

What more could I want? Without being selfish?

I will TOUCH WOOD and, in fact, might wrap myself in it before I say this...

Myself and my family are relatively healthy. At least, none of us that we know of are battling a lethal disease. I have a roof over my head that isn't leaking, food in the cupboard, clothes on my back (and if you ask my husband, more than enough in the cupboard). We even have two cars in the driveway! I am married to a skilled and caring husband who cooks, does housework and does a great job looking after the children. We are blessed with two healthy children which we conceived without problem. I have never had to ride in an ambulance or have a blood transfusion. I have employment with a great little company who are interested in my needs and wants. So many things to be thankful for.

AND THEN I FEEL GUILTY

Not because I am without the problems that seem to plague so many. But because I am also rich in so many others ways.

We have great neighbours that have a chat over the fence, catch our dog when she gets loose, brings in our wheelie bin if we aren't home and gives our children gifts at Christmas.  How many people can say that?

We are blessed to live in a great little town where people smile and say hello.  The climate is variable through the year so we get a bit of everything from a great Summer to Snow on the mountain.  Things are at our fingertips in that we can go to the city, the beach or the bush all within 40 minutes of where we live.

We also have our family close by which is invaluable.

In mentioning our family, we are often supplied with home-grown fruit and vegetables, weekly dinners, babysitting, a helping hand and a good old cup of tea and a chat.

I could go on but you get the picture that, in fact, even though I dream about MORE and admire what other's have, I don't want for anything.

I'm not saying that life is perfect. We all have our little hurdles to jump in life. And I do try to take care of myself where I can to avoid accident and illness. But overall LIFE IS GOOD.
Some would say that there is always more to life .... but is it worth sacrificing the things you already have for what could possibly be a better life?

How is life for you at the moment? Have you taken a moment to sit and analyse, scrutinise and weigh the pros and cons? Maybe you should ... maybe you will find you are right where you need to be.

3 comments:

  1. Hay Mel - you are an amazing woman. I too dreamt of winning the "Big One" and had it all spent before even winning it. What you have just written is so true. I am "filthy rich' too, I have the love of my family, husband and son. I have a beautiful home, a car and a job. I have food in my belly and clothes on my back. Thank you so much for opening my eyes to this. Love you and what you have done. ♥ Ness

    ReplyDelete
  2. My thoughts too. Great post.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post. If we really think about it, the basics are what we need.

    Thanks for Rewinding at the Fibro.

    ReplyDelete